My Family, The Main People (or Victims) I Knit For

Friday, May 14, 2010

Yarn Over Increase

I am already bored with the horrible purple baby blanket. That didn't take long. lol It was suggested that I finally learn how to do a correct yarn over increase. I found an easy shawl pattern that calls just for that. Here is the pattern from ravelry and the youtube video that she posted with the pattern. The video was very helpful!! I finally figured out what was going wrong with my yarn over increase. Instead of knitting the next stitch, I was doing a purl stitch. It has only years of doing it incorrectly. There was a little happy dancing going on here yesterday. lol I am also posting a progress photo of the shawl. Hopefully it will be completed soon. Happy Knitting!!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby Blanket-Horrible Purple

I have been working on this baby blanket off and on for a long time now. I usually love knitting baby blankets, thinking of the new life that will use it but this one has been hard to knit. I really think it's because it's main color is purple. I can't stand looking at that color while knitting. The pattern is called, 19th Century Baby Blanket, that I found online years ago. It's an awesome pattern, very easy, usually very quick to knit, and works with most yarns. Here are two photos of it from last night. You can see how the evil purple hides the lovely pink in the blanket. lol The pink is actually brighter than the photo is showing. I might have to start another project and let this one sit again, just for awhile. Happy Knitting!!

The pink looks white in the photo but it's actually a lot brighter.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Preemie Baby Hat- Hearts

Here is the first hat that I have actually completed!! I used size US 2 1/2, 3mm circular needles with a circumference of 9". Those are tiny and a bit of a challenge to use. I took a photo of them on a keyboard so you could have a reference of their size. The hat has hearts around the brim. It was made out of very soft, off white/yellowish yarn. This hat is going to be donated to Dayton's Children's Hospital. My goal is to make a bunch of hats for three hospitals in my area that has preemies and full term babies. I really enjoyed receiving a knitted hat for both my children when they went home after their births and would like for someone else to have that joy. Here is the pattern for this hat. There are a few more adorable preemie hat patterns there as well. Thanks to Carissa for sharing her patterns!! Happy Knitting!!


I finally finished the Dalek dish/washcloth for my mum. It turned out ok, not as well as I had hoped. The evil bobbles fought me every step of the way. Sometimes they turned out nicely and other times like a blob of yarn mess than a cute little bobble. Oh well, at least I have now learned how to do them. The first picture is of a Dalek from the show, Doctor Who. The second one is the dish/wash that I made. Here is the link to the pattern. The lady has picture of how the cloth should have turned out with her pattern. Now, I am encouraged, maybe foolishly encouraged, to try a baby hat. Happy Knitting!